1119 W. Chestnut St., Centralia, WA 98531
Office: (360) 330-7628
Fax: (360) 330-7591
Gibb Kingsley, Director of Transportation
Dale Dunham, Asst. Director of Transportation
Anne Snyder – Secretary/Dispatcher
The Chehalis School District, in conjunction with the Centralia/Chehalis Pupil Transportation Coop, is always seeking substitute school bus drivers. For more information about the qualification and conditions of employment please visit https://chehalisschools.org/jobs/
In an attempt to provide the Chehalis School District parents and students the best and most reliable information concerning school closures and inclement weather, we will post any changes on our district website. You may also visit the “FlashAlert” as to the current status of the schools. They will post any alterations in our school/transportation scheduling starting no later than 6:00 a.m.
NOTE: “Winter Snow Route” adjustments apply to both the ride in to school and the ride home. We ask that you make every attempt NOT to contact the schools, transportation office, or radio stations regarding school closures.
Winter Snow / Emergency Closure
Snow, ice and wind can impact our ability to conduct school activities as planned. Depending on the road conditions, any one of the following may happen:
- School is delayed by two (2) hours – Buses pick up students two hours later than normal; no AM preschool
- School is dismissed early – All activities and athletics are canceled
- School is canceled for the day – All schools, activities, and athletics are cancelled for the day.
How we decide
Before deciding to delay school start times or close schools altogether, district staff drive and assess road conditions during early morning hours and throughout the day.
Our district covers a large area with steep terrain in places. While roads may be passable in town, conditions may be different just a few miles away. Before delaying school or closing schools entirely, we seek answers to the following questions:
- Can we ensure that buses can navigate streets safely?
- Will students be safe waiting for buses, walking to school or driving?
- What are the predicted weather conditions later in the school day in order to ensure students a safe return home?
- Will conditions be substantially improved if we start school late?
- Will we have heat and lights in our schools?
Inclement Weather / Snow Routes
During inclement weather conditions, buses will be running a few minutes late due to road conditions. Pick-up times and locations will be as close to the regular schedules as possible unless radio announcements state otherwise. In the interest of safety for our bus-riding students, the following route changes will be in effect for ALL the (A.M. and P.M. routes) when it is announced that buses are running on Winter Snow Routes. To view the Winter Snow Routes, click on the buttons at the top and bottom of this page.
How we inform you
We attempt to provide as much notice as possible with school delays and/or closure. We make every effort to announce changes by 6:00 a.m. and use a variety of methods to get the information out to parents and staff.
Please do not contact the transportation office, schools or radio stations regarding school delays or closures. Information will be posted and frequently repeated.
Guidelines & Procedures
The following are guidelines we want you to have in case we experience snow or icy weather conditions.
- Announcements on school closures will be made starting at 6:00 am on the above radio stations. Please do not call the transportation office.
- If it becomes necessary to dismiss school early due to weather or other conditions, you child will be sent home in the usual manner unless we have been previously notified in writing of an alternate plan.
- When it is necessary to dismiss school early due to weather and / or other conditions, your child will be sent to their normal destination unless your student’s stop location is designated as an alternate stop on the snow route matrix. If you have not filled out the emergency dismissal form, we encourage you to complete this form at your child’s school.
- Your written request must include the names of other people to whom we are able to release your child in these situations.
- Please discuss these alternate plans with your child(ren) so they will not be confused or upset should such an emergence arise.
The safety of your child is always our first concern. We need you and your child to share this responsibility with us. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance.
|KXXO (Mixx96)||96.1 FM|